Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Hope

I arrived at the hospital at 3:00 pm on tues. The dr started the cervix rippening medicine at 6:30 pm. I was already 3 cm then. Well, that's all it took. I had her at 4:21 am. They were going to start pitocin at 5 am. I guess I was ready to push for about an hour before they realized it because my little bug was so bruised and swollen from being so low for so long. She came out gulping amniotic fluid, so she had to stay in nursery for 7 hrs before they brought her to me. Talk about torture. Well, that was just the beginning of the fear. Because she had such a quick and rough delivery she was very sluggish. Kevin stayed with her in the nursery. The pediatrician on call for mine came in to check her out.Kevin said thank God she is here ok and we don't have to worry anymore. He commented on her being sluggish and asked the dr if anything could be wrong with her. She said she would go with him to talk to me. While the women( I will not refer to her as a dr anymore because she doesn't deserve it!) was talking to me I could tell that she was leading up to something big. She said because of Hope's tone that she needed to be tested for downs even though she didn't have any of the physical markers. It would not matter to me if Hope had downs or not, but you do not give that kind of label unless you have reason to back it up. I went into total shock and could not deal with coming down from such an emotional pregnancy and birth just to be thrown into this fear. She called my pediatrician to come take a look herself. Our dr said that when she saw Hope she would not even have downs enter her mind. I said me too, but after what I've been through it's hard for me to trust. Why would a dr do that and sit there and cry with me about it? I could choke that woman. You don't do that to people. She knew what we had been through to get to this joyous day. Then she brings something like that up. I really don't even know how to describe the horror of what she did. She admitted that Hope showed no indication of having downs except for being sluggish. Hello, she was ready to be pushed out for over an hour and she had the cord around her neck once. Of course she would be sluggish. SO that's why we have been able to update. WE have been waiting on test results for something we knew was negative, but couldn't get out of our head until we had results. Luckly our dr knows the head geneticist in our area and he came to look her over and get results in 24 hrs rather than the usual week.He laughed that there was ever a question. He said that he studies downs babies everyday and she shows no signs what so ever. We are finally home and all so happy. Our house has a new addition and she has brought so much joy to us. Thank you guys for your patience and your ongoing support.

No comments:

Post a Comment